Ramblings from the Miller Haus

This simple blog is my musing and rambling as I strive to be a servant of the Lord and seek to become a noble wife and mother.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Meal Planning






One of my weekend routines is to work on my meal planning for the next week..preferably two weeks.  Do you plan your meals?  I am a planner and a binder fanatic.  My friend Stephanie laughs at my organizing binders and suggests that I need a support group to help with my obsession!  But being a high functioning A.D.D. victim, the binders help me keep a grasp on LIFE.  One of my most used sections in my HOMEMAKING binder is "Menu Planning."  

My routine is to grocery shop every other week. Now this shopping includes all of my foods, paper products, and household products.  I do still have to purchase a few items in between these major shopping trips, such as milk and fresh produce.  My sister in law Mary and I make a trip to a nearby town and do the majority of our shopping at Aldi. We then supplement this shopping with a visit to a grocery store and bigger box store.  

Before this shopping trip I sit down with my menu planning sheet, cookbooks and recipe book.  One the planner sheet I mark special events, work schedules, and other variables.  I then peruse the cookbooks for favorites or new ideas to try. As many of you know, I have a massive collection of cookbook!  I also have a nice collection of "Taste of Home", "Quick Cooking" and other magazines.  Yes, many of these are in binders, So on the covers of these magazines I have a small piece of paper with recipes and page numbers for items I have made or would like to try.  This helps me glance through the stack instead of the entire magazine.  I'll write down recipes or dishes on the planning calendar on certain dates. Now, I will have to confess that my plans do not always go as scheduled!  But that's o.k., I can always adjust the dishes and dates.    On the planning calendar I also note the location of the recipe.

So during the following weeks I can look at the calendar and know what I'm making and can defrost and gather the items needed. I usually do this in the morning and gather the items on the counter, set items out to thaw and such.

My favorite menu planning pages are from Mom's Tool Belt.  This is an awesome website for planners. Now some people, such as Stephanie, may feel too restricted, but I LOVE printable planning pages. Helps me feel a little more in control of my days.  

Blessings on your holiday weekend. Let us not forget all of the people who have died serving the land of the free, our beloved United States of America. God please help us restore our once proud and strong Christian nation.




Here is the planners I use!  Click on the photo for the link!

3 comments:

  1. I could probably do that now, but back when the kids were all at home, a posted menu did one of two things. Either it gave one of them a chance to start complaining early or give them time to adjust to their fate if it was something that wasn't their favorite. Or, I could just keep the plan hidden in my binder and post the two menu choices, take it or leave it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, my mom's answer to the question of what's for dinner. Stuff and junk.

      Delete